Downsizing is one of those words that needs a makeover. It’s a difficult, arduous task that can take a lot of time, and in some cases, a lot of willpower. But if you can get through it and come out the other side, learning to live with less is a good thing, even if you don’t plan to move to a physically smaller location for several more years. Americans are starting to embrace the concept of life without clutter (thank you, Marie Kondo!) but if you’re still on the fence, here are our top 5 reasons why sizing down is trending up.
- Let’s be real. We have too much stuff. And as it continues to pile up, we face a losing battle with our homes. They become a source of burden and dread rather than an oasis. Getting rid of all that stuff gives you more room for you. Start with your clothes and shoes — what can you donate? Is there a local consignment shop where you might sell your nicer outfits? From there, move on to other sources of clutter, such as paperwork, kitchen utensils, or linens. Finally, take a deep breath and head into the garage. And remember that even the expensive stuff is clutter if it’s gathering dust.
- It feels really good to throw stuff away, and equally good to donate or pass on your valuables to your children or grandchildren. As you go through your things, pay special attention to your items that should be out there, being used by someone who appreciates them, rather than collecting dust or doubling as a towel rack. Things like books, clothes, unused gym equipment and abandoned hobbies or collections can be of great value to the right person — even if it’s no longer you.
- You won’t spend an hour looking for something you need right now. A house full of stuff equals a lot more hiding places for things like glasses, tissues, or pens. And as always seems to happen, what you need is always right there … until you need it. Downsizing your stuff to only include what you really need, then finding a permanent spot for them to live, goes a long way toward making sure you aren’t late to work because your keys were buried beneath a pile of papers.
- Keeping the house clean is a lot easier when there isn’t so much stuff to organize, put away and dust. And less time spent tidying up has a ripple effect that includes not only time back for yourself to do the things you love, but also creates a more peaceful space. Imagine what you could do with your day if you could spend 30 minutes doing a power clean, then spend the rest of your day living the fun part of life.
- Your future self will thank you. When it finally is time to downsize into a smaller living space, most of the work will already be finished — you can jump right into the nuts and bolts of packing, rather than spending a week throwing out what you don’t plan to take along. And, when you get to your new house, you’ll have a much easier time finding permanent homes for your belongings.
Our experts can be with you every step of your downsizing journey, from helping you create piles to giving you the courage to let go. Contact us for a consultation today!